Youth Summer Camp & Activity Scholarship
About The Scholarship
The Youth Summer Camp and Activity Scholarship makes it possible for young Alaskans to attend a summer camp, take part in an activity, or participate in a sport of their choosing. In 2023 AHFC celebrates 12 years of offering this scholarship, with awards of up to $500.00 per youth.
From swim lessons, to computer camps, to outdoor adventure trips, there are opportunities for all interests and abilities.
Looking for summer camp or activity ideas? Check out these options!
- ADN 2023 Summer Camps Guide for options in Anchorage, Mat-Su, and the Kenai Peninsula
- Summer Sessions & Lifelong Learning at UAF and this list of a variety of camps and activities for options in Fairbanks
- Zach Gordon Youth Services and Juneau Kids Summer Camp Guide for options in Juneau
“I am very grateful for Alaska Housing giving kids, and my kids, the opportunity to be able to find something to do in the summer – that helped a lot. They came home every day and expressed their gratitude and told me about all the fun things they got to do.”
— Parent of Youth Summer Camp and Activity Scholarship recipients
Read about the experience of two young aviation campers or how kids can spend their summer immersed in theater and music.
How To Apply
- Scholarship recipients must be ages 6–17 and reside in an assisted rental unit owned by AHFC or receive assistance through an AHFC housing voucher.
- Funds are available on a first come, first served basis and limited to 2 children per household.
- You can pick any summer camp, activity, or sport you choose.
- Eligible families can apply for scholarship assistance for up to two youths per household. One Family = One Application.
- Scholarships are up to $500 with a $25 co-pay per youth for the cost of the camp/activity and associated fees.
- If you need a special accommodation for submitting an online application, please email email@example.com.
Informational Flyers in Other Languages
The application period is currently open and closes on June 30, 2023, at 11:59 p.m Alaska Time.
What You Can Do
While you can choose any camp, activity, or sport you'd like, here are some examples from past participants.
- Alaska Aviation Museum Summer Camp
- The Music Machine Theater and Music Camp
- Alaska Club Swim Camp
- Science, Technology, Engineering, Math (STEM) Camps
- Campfire and Camp-K (originally called Camp Kushtaka)
- Adventure Treks
- Anchorage Museum Activities for Youth
- Sports (cheerleading, football, baseball, rowing, soccer, etc.)
- Summer camps in Anchorage, Mat-Su, and the Kenai Peninsula
Since 2011, the program has funded more than $380,000 in scholarships for nearly 1,268 youth, serving 890 families throughout the state. More than 163 organizations have had scholarship awardees attend their camps.
For More Information
Please contact Aimee Wallum if you want assistance finding a camp or activity, need a special accommodation for submitting an online application, or have any other questions.
Phone: (907) 330-6108 in Anchorage or (877) 254-6257 toll free in the rest of Alaska
If you would like to share information about the Youth Summer Camp and Activity Scholarship, flyers are available for download and distribution here.