Making Music and Memories in Summer Camp
Four decades ago, Janet Carr-Campbell recognized there weren’t many options for kids in Anchorage to participate locally in theater and music. So the classically trained musician decided to create a place where they could participate in the arts, and The Music Machine was born.
“When I started this program I was only thinking ‘kids like to sing and dance, won’t that be fun!’ But after four to five years I started to realize it was about more than just that,” Janet says. “It’s about life skills and finding yourself. We want to find out what’s the talent within each kid.”
The Music Machine program takes place over six weeks in the summer, where youths learn musical theater numbers and choreographed acts. At the end there are four public performances and tickets are sold. Along the way, participants learn about music and movement but also become part of a family-like atmosphere.
Scholarship Makes Attending Camp Possible
In 2022, one of the children who attended in The Music Machine program was able to participate through an Alaska Housing Youth Summer Camp and Activity Scholarship.
Participants in AHFC’s public housing program are eligible to apply for the scholarship, which makes it possible for young Alaskans to attend a summer camp, take part in an activity, or play a sport of their choosing. In 2022 AHFC celebrated 11 years of offering this scholarship with awards of up to $500 per youth.
This was the first year The Music Machine was a participant in the Youth Summer Camp and Activity Scholarship. Aimee Wallum, a Housing Management Specialist with Alaska Housing who oversees the youth scholarship program, approached Janet about participating and she quickly jumped on board.
“This is such a fabulous program AHFC is doing,” Janet says. “It really supports their clients.”
How to Apply
- Scholarship recipients must be ages 6–17 and reside in an assisted rental unit owned by AHFC or receive assistance through an AHFC housing voucher.
- Funds are available on a first-come, first-served basis.
- You can pick any summer camp, activity, or sport you choose.
- Eligible families can apply for scholarship assistance for up to two youths per household. One Family = One Application.
- Scholarships are up to $500 with a $25 co-pay per youth for the cost of the camp/activity and associated fees.
- When the application period is open, the application will be made available here. If you need a special accommodation for submitting an online application, please email email@example.com.
scholarship application period
- All households with eligible children will receive an email and/or flyer with more information regarding the application period opening and deadline in April 2023.
- We encourage all eligible residents to apply!