Thinking of Buying A Home? HomeChoice Helps
Buying a house can be an exciting adventure, and with interest rates hitting record lows the idea of owning your own home may be even more appealing. Understanding the steps needed to transition to homeownership can make the journey more successful — especially for first-time buyers! Armed with the right information you can shop for a house, apply for a mortgage, and close the deal with confidence.
Get Expert Guidance About Homebuying
Education is key to successfully buying a home. Just like any other learning experience, taking a class about the homebuying process will help you identify and overcome barriers you might face along the way, and will also direct you to invaluable resources. These courses cover a wide range of material, such as:
- Preparing you for what to expect when applying for a mortgage
- Unpacking the complex process of buying a home
- Improving your ability to evaluate the best options
- Building your confidence in the decision-making process
Take A Free Class: HomeChoiceTM & Finally Home!
Alaska Housing Finance Corporation (AHFC) offers two free classes to help prospective homebuyers work their way through the decisions and steps of buying a home, including how to save money on closing costs.
HomeChoice is a 6-hour course, currently taught via webinar. If you are unable to attend the HomeChoice webinar, you can sign up for the home study course, Finally Home!, which allows you to learn at your own pace.
Both courses cover the same material and will teach you everything from starting a budget to buying a home, including:
- The basics of the homebuying process and how to prepare for homeownership
- How to access local and federal programs that reduce the cost of homeownership
- What to look for in a real estate professional and a lender
- What purchase and sale contracts are all about
- How the home inspection works
- How to create a personal budget and manage your finances
- Which AHFC loan program may be best for you
For a preview of the class material, view the HomeChoice — Steps to homeownership workbook. You can also read our frequently asked questions about the courses.
Meet The Educational Requirement for Loan Programs
Many loan programs — including some AHFC loans — require that prospective borrowers provide evidence of having taken a homebuying course. The HomeChoice and Finally Home! courses meet this requirement for AHFC loans, as well as for many other loan programs.
- You will receive a certificate upon completion of HomeChoice or Finally Home!.
- If you choose to get an Alaska Housing mortgage within two years of course completion, you are eligible for up to $250 off toward the commitment fee.
Sign Up & Get Started
Ready to get on the path to homeownership? Get registered today!
For More Information
- Get to know AHFC home loans & mortgage lenders
- For a detailed overview of the homebuying process, get started here