References and Legal Resources

There are many federal and state housing laws that protect you as a homeowner. For more information about your rights, to get legal advice about foreclosure, or to report a case of housing discrimination please contact one of the legal services listed below.

Alaska Legal Services Corporation (ALSC)

Through legal advice and assistance, ALSC helps Alaska’s families, veterans, seniors and other vulnerable members of the population stay in their homes and avoid homelessness. They may be able to help you avoid foreclosure, assist with legal questions and situations, and their services are free. To access legal information about a certain topic, follow the links below.

For More Information:
Web: Alaska Legal Services Corporation
Helpline: (907) 743-1000 (in Anchorage); (855) 743-1001 (outside Anchorage)

Department of Veterans Affairs

Military members or veterans can call the Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) or visit the VA’s home loan website to get personalized assistance. Military members may also contact their local JAG office for more information. 

For More Information: 
Web: VA Home Loan Website
Web: JAG Legal Assistance Office

Elder Aid

Provides information about programs in place to assist seniors in exercising their rights, help secure benefits to which they are entitled and work to protect them from abuse and exploitation.

For More Information
Web: Eldercare Locator

HUD-Approved Housing Counselors

A HUD-Approved Housing Counselor is a trained professional who can advise you on choices that may be available to prevent foreclosure. The U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD) supports a network of housing counseling agencies throughout the country. Housing counseling is available in many languages. The HOPE Hotline provides assistance from a housing counselor by telephone 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.

For More Information:
Web: HUD-Approved Housing Counselors
Phone: (888) 995- HOPE (4673)