Mortgage Help for Alaska Homeowners
Are you a homeowner experiencing financial hardships due to the COVID-19 pandemic? You are not alone. Alaska homeowners will soon have access to apply for mortgage and related assistance through Alaska Housing Finance Corporation’s Alaska Housing Homeowner Assistance.
Starting on Monday, February 28, 2022, homeowners can pre-register and check their eligibility at AlaskaHousingRelief.org.
What Is Alaska Housing Homeowner Assistance?
Alaska Housing Homeowner Assistance is federally funded by the U.S. Treasury as part of the American Rescue Plan Act of 2021. The objective of the program is to reduce mortgage delinquencies, forbearances and foreclosures, as well as prevent loss of utilities or energy services. Approved payments will be distributed by AHFC and its partners directly to Mortgage Servicers and utility companies.
Am I Eligible for Assistance?
- You must be a homeowner and applying for aid in your primary residence that is located in the State of Alaska.
- You must satisfy minimum federal and State of Alaska requirements:
- Have experienced a coronavirus-related financial hardship after Jan. 21, 2020;
- Not exceed the maximum household income as required by U.S. Treasury;
- At least one person per household must be directly or indirectly financially impacted by COVID-19;
- Demonstrated risk of housing instability or homelessness.
You will be able to check your eligibility online once pre-registration opens on February 28, 2022.
What Does It Cover?
Alaska Housing Homeowner Assistance may include:
- Financial assistance to help homeowners reinstate a mortgage in forbearance, delinquency, or default;
- Repaying homeowner expenses including property taxes, hazard insurance premiums, HOA/condominium dues, cooperative maintenance fees, and a portion of ongoing payments for homeowners who continue to experience financial hardships due to COVID-19.
Is My Housing Eligible?
Eligible owner-occupied properties include:
- Single-family attached and detached properties
- Condominium units
- Manufactured homes permanently affixed to real property and taxed as real estate
- Mobile homes not permanently affixed to real property
- Land contracts
- 1 to 4-unit properties where the homeowner is living in one of the units as a primary residence
How Do I Apply?
Your first step is to pre-register and check your eligibility. Go to AlaskaHousingRelief.org for important updates about pre-registration, how to check your eligibility, and the application period.
- Monday, February 28, 2022: Pre-registration opens
- March 14, 2022: Application period opens
- Monday, April 4, 2022 at 11:59 p.m. AKST: Application period closes
Where Can I Learn More?
- Go to AlaskaHousingRelief.org for the most up to date information
- Read FAQs about Alaska Housing Homeowner Assistance
- Contact our Call Center at 1-833-330-8290 toll free
- Contact your Mortgage Servicer
What Are Other Resources for Homeowners?
- Protect your investment and keep your family housed by learning about how to avoid foreclosure, if you are eligible for immediate mortgage relief or forbearance, and how to apply.
- Get free legal advice about keeping your home and your rights as a homeowner.