Families Displaced by Domestic Violence or Sexual Assault

If you are in a crisis or need immediate help, call 911 or CALL THE 24 HOUR HOTLINE NUMBER in your area.

The Empowering Choice Housing Program (ECHP) is a referral-based, transitional rental assistance program designed for families displaced due to domestic violence or sexual assault. This program is available in every Alaska Housing community that administers the Housing Choice Voucher Program.

In Bethel, Cordova and Nome, where Alaska Housing does not operate voucher programs, referrals will receive preferential placement on the public housing waiting list.

Who is Eligible

Family income is at or below 50 percent of the area median income are encouraged to apply. Families may apply at any Alaska Housing voucher program location with an open waiting list.

Recipients for the Empowering Choice voucher must be referred to Alaska Housing by an approved domestic violence sexual assault program named in the Memorandum of Understanding . While participating in the Empowering Choice Housing Program, families may also submit an application for any Alaska Housing program with an open waiting list.

How it Works

As vouchers become available, families are invited to a briefing session, provided detailed information about the relevant housing program and issued the voucher. Rental assistance through this program is limited to 36 months.

The rental amount for the unit must be reasonable. The unit must also pass a federal housing quality standards inspection. Landlords may use their own lease but Alaska Housing requires an initial lease term of one year.

Once a family with a voucher finds and leases an Alaska Housing-approved rental unit, families are responsible for paying their portion of the monthly rent directly to their landlord, while Alaska Housing pays the subsidy portion directly to the landlord.

How to Apply

Families must be referred to Alaska Housing by an approved domestic violence sexual assault program (see the ECHP Memorandum of Understanding, page 5). Our application packages are available on our Applications page.