Housing Resources Post-Wildfire

Follow wildfire activity across Alaska. Alaska Wildland Fire Information is an interagency website developed and maintained by federal and state agencies in Alaska to provide timely and accurate wildland fire information for the entire state.

For Homeowners

Homeowners in the Matanuska-Susitna and Kenai Peninsula boroughs may be eligible for disaster recovery grants for wildfire damages to their homes.

State Individual Disaster Emergency

Contact State Individual Disaster Emergency at 1-855-445-7131 or https://ready.alaska.gov/. Be prepared with:

  • Description of damages and/or losses
  • Damaged property address
  • Insurance information
  • Personal identification information

To assess damage to your home, find a home inspector on the State of Alaska Home Inspector list. Select Home Inspectors from the menu drop-down. If you need a structural engineer use this location for your search as well.

Alaska Housing offers renovation options that may assist with repairs:

  • Second for Renovation: This is a second mortgage for renovations.
  • Refinance Renovation: A refinance option that incorporates renovation costs into a new loan. To assist homeowners with earthquake damaged homes AHFC has increased the loan amount for this option to $200,000 plus 10 percent in contingency funding for a total of $220,000.

If you have a loan with Alaska Housing Finance Corporation and have questions about your mortgage payments please contact your mortgage servicer.

For Condo Associations

Active homeowner associations may be able to access a loan to make common-area improvements related to health and safety of residents or the structural integrity of the buildings. Examples include roof or siding replacement, window replacement and driveway improvements. Requests for funding are made directly to AHFC. Loans may be approved with support of at least 75 percent of the unit owners, and include a payback timeline of up to 15 years. More information, including a forms checklist and contact information is here.

For Renters

Public housing is accepting applications in Anchorage. Click here for more information and to submit an application.

To view open waiting lists for Housing Choice Vouchers, Senior Housing and other public housing rentals around the state, click here.

For those in need of shelter

Call 2-1-1 or visit Alaska211.org.

Other resources

For general technical assistance contact Alaska Housing’s Research Information Center (RIC) Library or call (800) 478-4636 during normal business hours. The RIC Library has construction-related information.

For concerns regarding utilities, contact your utility company directly.

If you are searching for rental housing, or if you’re a landlord wishing to list a rental property, go to Alaska Housing Locator