Q. Who inspects a home to determine that it meets the Alaska Housing Minimum Construction Standards?

A. An authorized inspector, licensed by the State of Alaska Division of Occupational Licensing, performs inspections during the various phases of construction. Individuals may search for an authorized inspector online. A municipal inspector in an Alaska Housing approved municipality may inspect the building in accordance with the local municipal building codes. Alaska Housing maintains a list of approved municipalities that have adopted and enforce an equivalent building and energy code.

Q. Is inspection documentation required?

A. Alaska Housing requires the authorized inspector complete Form PUR-102 to certify compliance with Alaska Housing’s minimum construction standards. Local municipal inspectors in an Alaska Housing approved municipality issue Certificates of Occupancy in lieu of completing Form PUR-102.

Q. How does a home meet the Building Energy Efficiency Standard (BEES)?

A. Compliance with the BEES is achieved by completing the PUR-101 and PUR-102; a Certificate of Occupancy can be used in lieu of a PUR-102 from an Alaska Housing approved municipality. An Alaska Housing Energy Rater is the only authorized entity who can complete the PUR-101.

Q. Where can I find Alaska Housing requirements for new Common Interest Community (Condo) projects?

A. A brief overview is available on Project Acceptance, including links to forms and contact information.