Skip to Main Content

Housing Resources Post-Earthquake

For Homeowners:

Contact State Individual Disaster Emergency at 1-855-445-7131 or Be prepared with:

  • Description of damages and/or losses
  • Damaged property address
  • Insurance information
  • Personal identification information

To assess damage to your home, find a home inspector on the State of Alaska Home Inspector list. Select Home Inspectors from the menu drop-down. If you need a structural engineer use this location for your search as well.

Alaska Housing offers renovation options that may assist with repairs:

  • Second for Renovation: This is a second mortgage for renovations. Two AHFC approved lenders – NeighborWorks Alaska and True North Federal Credit Union – offer these options.
  • Refinance Renovation: A refinance option that incorporates renovation costs into a new loan. To assist homeowners with earthquake damaged homes AHFC has increased the loan amount for this option to $200,000 plus 10 percent in contingency funding for a total of $220,000. For more details see this seller services memo or contact our lending partners listed here: Alaska USA Federal Credit Union, Denali Federal Credit Union, Denali State Bank, First Bank, First National Bank Alaska, Homestate Mortgage, Matanuska Valley Federal Credit Union, Mt. McKinley Bank, NeighborWorks Alaska, Residential Mortgage, Spirit of Alaska Federal Credit Union and True North Federal Credit Union.

If you have a loan with Alaska Housing Finance Corporation and have questions about your mortgage payments please contact your mortgage servicer.

For Condo Associations

Active homeowner associations may be able to access a loan to make common-area improvements related to health and safety of residents or the structural integrity of the buildings. Examples include roof or siding replacement, window replacement and driveway improvements. Requests for funding are made directly to AHFC. Loans may be approved with support of at least 75 percent of the unit owners, and include a payback timeline of up to 15 years. More information, including a forms checklist and contact information is here.

For Renters:

Public housing is accepting applications in Anchorage. Click here for more information and to submit an application.

Housing Choice Voucher and Senior Housing waitlists are open in Seward, Soldotna and Homer.

For those in need of shelter:

Call 2-1-1 or visit

Other resources:

For general technical assistance contact Alaska Housing’s Research Information Center (RIC) Library or call (800) 478-4636 during normal business hours. The RIC Library has construction-related information.

For concerns regarding utilities, contact your utility company directly.

If you are searching for rental housing, or if you’re a landlord wishing to list a rental property, go to Alaska Housing Locator