Voucher Portability

Portability Process

What is Portability?

Portability is the process that allows an eligible Housing Choice Voucher (HCV) applicant or participant to move anywhere in the United States where there is a housing agency operating the federal HCV program. AHFC is a Moving to Work (MTW) agency and has criteria that restrict the reasons voucher program applicants and participants may move.

Portability Move In (Port In) is when an eligible family moves from another state into Alaska. Please read the Step and Classic program definitions.

AHFC is absorbing vouchers as of 4/1/2016. Once a family with a work-able adults voucher is absorbed by AHFC they will be placed in the STEP program. Under Step, families are subject to a five year term limit, subsidy is based on a fixed schedule and porting out (leaving with the AHFC voucher) is restricted.

Port In Process

  • If you wish to Port in to Alaska, you must first contact your current housing agency.
  • Your current housing agency determines if you are eligible to move to Alaska.
  • Portability paperwork can be sent by mail, email, or faxed, (Confidential income information must be mailed.)
  • Once your portability paperwork is received and processed by AHFC, you will need to call to set up an appointment for an interview and a briefing class.
  • You must meet with AHFC before your original voucher expiration date.
  • AHFC does not have an FSS Escrow program; you must close your escrow-based FSS contract prior to porting to Alaska.

Shopping Information

  • AHFC allows an initial shopping time of 60 days. Families may request two additional 30 day extensions for a maximum shopping time of 120 days.
  • Families may contribute up to 50 percent of their monthly gross income toward their rent.

Contact Information

Alaska Housing Finance Corporation
Attn: Portability
PO Box 101020
Anchorage, AK 99510
Phone: 907-330-8431
Fax: 907-338-1683
Email: phd.portabilities@ahfc.us

Portability Procedures for Families Porting to Alaska

You must prepare to have housing accommodations for at least 30-60 days prior to being leased in a new unit. Once AHFC receives your paperwork, you will be scheduled for an appointment within two weeks; however, there are other obstacles that must be addressed such as finding a unit that will be affordable, finding a unit which may not pass inspection the first time, security deposit, transportation, etc. AHFC does not have temporary/emergency/transitional housing programs available.

Please come to your appointment prepared with all documents necessary such as photo ID, social security cards for all household members, and birth certificates. If you do not come prepared, it will delay the voucher issuance. All adults 18 years and over listed in the family composition must come to the interview.

According to AHFC MTW Rent Reform policy, you will be classified into one of two programs: Step or Classic.

If you move into a unit prior to it passing inspection, AHFC will not be able to pay until the day it passes. You will be responsible for any rents owed to the owner.

Once the interview has been completed and all documents are in your file, the family will be given an appointment for briefing. The Housing Choice Voucher, Request for Tenancy Approval, and other relative documents will be issued at the Section 8 Portable Briefing. The bedroom size on your voucher will be changed to the occupancy standards approved in AHFCs Administrative Plan. AHFC uses the same occupancy standards recommended by Fair Housing guidance. This is two people per bedroom, without giving consideration for age and sex/gender.


Family SizeBedrooms
1-2 people 1
3-4 people 2
5-6 people 3
7-8 people 4
9-10 people 5

Inspections can take approximately 7 to 14 business days to be scheduled after you turn in the Request for Tenancy Approval packet.

Time Management: You should manage the move so that you have enough time to arrive at the receiving PHA before the initial PHA voucher expires; otherwise, you may lose your assistance.

Payment standards

We have different payment standards depending on the city in Alaska you port into. You can contact the portability desk at 907-330-8431 for more information or click on this link for the full table of payment standards.

Port Out Process

Portability Move Out (Port Out) is when an eligible family moves from Alaska to another state.

  • If you wish to Port Out, you must contact your current Housing Specialist; they will need to have the request in writing.
  • Your Housing Specialist will determine if you are eligible to port according to AHFC MTW Portability Criteria.
  • The head, spouse, or co-head must have established a domicile for 30 days prior to application in the area where they received their voucher OR must have received assistance in that area for 12 months.
  • If eligible, your paperwork will be mailed or faxed to the new housing agency.
  • Once your paperwork is sent to the new agency, you must follow their policies and rules. You must contact the Receiving Housing Authority before your shopping voucher expires.