Are You Struggling to Pay Your Rent?

Safety Net Program for Alaskans

COVID-19 has hit Alaskan communities hard, resulting in lay-offs without pay and reductions in work hours. Alaska Housing Finance Corporation has implemented a special hardship process to provide immediate rental relief to our families affected by income loss due to COVID-19. 

Who qualifies for rent reduction?

To qualify for rent reduction, families must be enrolled in a qualifying Alaska Housing program and have demonstrable income income loss due to COVID-19. Families will submit an application and provide verification of their change in circumstances and current income. If they cannot provide documentation, we will seek alternate verification.

How do families apply for rent reduction?

You can provide your information securely through our online application process using the following steps:

  1. Click here to apply online
  2. Click the "New User" link below the login form
  3. Set a password (note requirements!)
  4. Confirm your email address
  5. Log in and click the "COVID-19" link
  6. Start the application process

If you have any questions or need further assistance, please contact AHFC's webmaster.

What about families who cannot apply online?

  1. Open, complete, and print the Income Loss Due to COVID-19 Application
  2. Return it, along with your proof of income, to your local AHFC office
  3. AHFC will respond to all applications in writing

We continue to closely monitor all COVID-19 information and encourage you to check our web page as frequently as you wish. If you have questions regarding the application or need assistance:

Call 1-833-958-8406 or 330-8406 (in Anchorage) email

How much rent does it cover?

Qualified families will receive rent reduction covering 28.5 percent of their reduced income for a three-month period. The assistance is applied at the first of the month following the date of the family's last full paycheck, notification of reduction in hours, or job loss — but no earlier than March 1, 2020.

What if the crisis lasts longer than three months?

We hope this situation will be past and our families' income sources restored in the next several months. However, we recognize the situation is uncertain. We will closely monitor the future economic impact on our families.

Can families be evicted for not paying rent?

We are no longer serving "Notices to Quit for Nonpayment of Rent" — rather, we are serving "Lease Agreement Violation" letters for all those that have not paid their rent by the 7th of the month. We must continue to notify residents that they have not paid, but that notification indicates that we are not going forward with eviction. Information on this program is included, and anyone who has not paid their rent is strongly encouraged to contact us for assistance.

How have families been notified of this?

To ensure our families are aware of this assistance, we mailed a postcard to all households enrolled in our voucher program and emailed all voucher program landlords. These communications provided information on who qualifies, how to apply, and further contact information.

What other relief is available to renters?

If you are a tenant living in federally subsidized housing or are renting from an owner who has a federally or GSE-backed mortgage, the CARES Act provides for a suspension or moratorium on evictions. Learn more from the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau (CFPB) website.

Questions about your lease? Problems with your rental unit? Call the Alaska Legal Services Corporation helpline to speak to an attorney for free. Click here to learn more.

In some situations, you may need to fill out a Financial Hardship Statement. Click here to view the form, and be sure to read page 2 for important information and instructions.

Editor's Note: Updated on April 17, 2020 and April 28, 2020 to include program details, answers to frequent questions, and an updated link to apply for rent reduction online. Updated on June 1, 2020 to include new information from the CFPB. Updated on June 5, 2020 to include financial hardship form and ALSC helpline information.